List of Shotokan Karate Katas with Instructions
This page provides instructions for Shotokan katas and will prepare you for your next Karate belt test. You will find detailed written and/or video instructions for a wide variety of Shotokan kata and kihon. However, if in doubt, check with your Sensei/Instructor regarding your required Karate kata movements as some Shotokan Karate schools use slightly different kata formats. In addition, after the first eight katas, many Shotokan Karate schools have their kata in different orders/sequences based on the preference of the school's Sensei.
If you are looking for the bunkai of these katas, please visit the main Shotokan Bunkai section. For the katas of other Karate styles (i.e. Wado-Ryu katas or Kyokushin katas), please visit the main Katas & Forms section. For more information on kata, please visit the wiki community discussions such as Which kata would you retain?, Competition Kata - Improvement Techniques, Is kata useful or useless?, etc.
Section supported by Shotokan books.
Shotokan Karate Katas - Video and/or written step-by-step instructions.
"Kihon" Shotokan Katas - These introductory katas are used by some Shotokan schools.
"Official" Shotokan Karate Katas
Katas Used By Some Shotokan Organizations
Wiki Recommendations by Google
New Posts on the Wiki Community
Join the wiki community. Ask questions & discuss techniques, kata, etc.
- Children & Kata If kids at your school are having trouble with kata, you should show them this video. This little girl is amazing - such focus and intensity. Hopefully, your students can learn from her. Will Black Belt Wiki
- UFC clone but with martial arts weapons Looks like someone is developing a UFC-like organization but the fighters would be fully armored and use martial arts weapons. Interesting idea but I think people like seeing the blood in UFC fights versus guys in padded suits taking tons of hits tha...
- Help tracing kanji for kata In my spare time (laughing!!) I have started taking sho-do classes. This is partly to understand more kanji when I see it and help with Japanese in general and partly to help with a larger project I am doing to preserve the history of our style. Anyway...
- Are martial arts movies good or bad for martial arts? Did you get sucked into martial arts after you had seen Bruce Lee fight his way upstairs the pagoda in “Game of Death”? Good, and you are certainly not the only one! But are martial arts movies actually good or bad for martial arts? Martial arts movies...
- Promoting the not worthy part 2. As we all know I decided to not promote a certain young lad this week. I suprised everyone with a mock testing. Of course I promoted all who met the requirements. 2. And several stripes were awarded. I was willing to promote the wild child if he co...
- Martial Arts in Motion Picture As a bit of a fluke, it appears I have an opportunity to appear as a close quarter combat fighter in a motion picture. I have a dual career as an attorney and a writer. Recently, I wrote a book about a Jewish Resistance fighter in WWII Poland. One of ...
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Or if you more tech-oriented, you can follow us on Twitter.
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.