Join this free martial arts wiki. Add info and help beginners with Shotokan Kata, Kicks, Punches, Grappling, Taekwondo Forms & Patterns, Aikido, Goju-Ryu, Krav Maga, Bo Staff, Judo, Kyokushin, etc. Fitness experts can help with Hojo Undo, Strength Training, Core Exercises, Warm-Ups, Balance, Stretching, etc.
List of Shotokan Karate Katas with Instructions
This page provides instructions for Shotokan katas and will prepare you for your next Karate belt test. You will find detailed written and/or video instructions for a wide variety of Shotokan kata and kihon. However, if in doubt, check with your Sensei/Instructor regarding your required Karate kata movements as some Shotokan Karate schools use slightly different kata formats. In addition, after the first eight katas, many Shotokan Karate schools have their kata in different orders/sequences based on the preference of the school's Sensei.
If you are looking for the bunkai of these katas, please visit the main Shotokan Bunkai section. For the katas of other Karate styles (i.e. Wado-Ryu katas or Kyokushin katas), please visit the main Katas & Forms section. For more information on kata, please visit the wiki community discussions such as Which kata would you retain?, Competition Kata - Improvement Techniques, Is kata useful or useless?, etc.
Section supported by Shotokan books.
Shotokan Karate Katas - Video and/or written step-by-step instructions.
"Kihon" Shotokan Katas - These introductory katas are used by some Shotokan schools.
"Official" Shotokan Karate Katas
Katas Used By Some Shotokan Organizations
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Or if you more tech-oriented, you can follow us on Twitter.
- Karate in mma. I constantly hear how ineffective karate is in mma. Well this videofrom.last nights fights kinda tells it differently. There is even a kiai on the knock out. https://youtu.be/3E7GMkmFKBI
- Taekwondo hurt by Olympic rules & modern sensors? This Washington Post article discusses how Taekwondo is moving away from its traditional striking expertise. The article states "Instead of aggressive fights and flurries of kicks that were staples of taekwondo just a decade ago, taekwondo matches have...
- K-Pop Martial Arts Music Video As a follow-up to our martial arts music discussion, here is a popular K-Pop martial arts music video. This is to honor of @Andy and @Christopher Adamchek ... and to make everyone else nauseous. :) Will Black Belt Wiki
- Martial Arts in Fiction This is a post for people to post their favourite pieces of Martial Arts in fiction, and by that I mean fictional martial arts, or a source that hasn't been already explored in the movies side of things. Personally a favourite of mines is the martial ...
- Martial Arts Music Does your martial arts school/instructor play music during your training? I am assuming that the vast majority of schools/instructors do not train with music... but just want to confirm. If your school does... Is it Asian-type music, Rocky-like music,...
- The best "martial arts" countries at the 2016 Olympics The 2016 Olympics has just ended and I thought it would be interesting to see which countries won the most martial arts gold medals. I have only included countries that won at least two martial arts gold medals in 2016. Russia was the biggest winner ...
- The "Screw" Hi, guys! I just thought I'd run this by you all and see if there are any questions about it! If you have any questions or suggestions about it (or if you can't use the concept after watching), PLEASE ask! I know it's polite to give praise, but it's ...
- Starting kids in martial arts. At what age are children able to start training martial arts? Personally my children have never known any other lifestyle, but I will not teach anyone under the age of 5. And often decline kids who are older based on maturity. Even though I was enco...
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this wiki. We will post your blog or website on the pages where you add information. We want to build this wiki and help drive traffic to our contributors' websites.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products by Brand Name
At no extra cost to you, we make a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!