List of Taekwondo Strikes with Korean Names - Section supported by Taekwondo books
This page provides focuses on a wide variety of Taekwondo strikes (Chigi) such as knife hand strikes. It also provides the Korean names for these various Taekwondo strikes.
For other Taekwondo arm techniques (i.e. Extended Knuckle Fist Punch), please visit the Taekwondo Punches (Jireugi) section.
For instructional videos focused on punches and strikes, please visit the main Punches & Strikes section.
Taekwondo Strikes - English to Korean
- Back Knuckle Strike (Back Fist) - Deungjumeok Chigi
- Downward Strike - Naeyeo Chigi
- Elbow Turn Strike (Elbow Strike) - Palgup Dollyeo Chigi
- Inward Strike - An Chigi
- Forward Strike - Ap Chigi
- Hammer Hand Downward Strike (Hammer Fist) - Mejumeok Naeryeo Chigi
- Hand Blade Strike (Knife Hand Strike) - Sonnal Chigi
- Outward Strike - Bakkat Chigi
- Palm Heel Strike (Palm Strike) - Batangson Chigi
- Pulling Strike - Danggyeo Chigi
- Rear Strike (i.e. rear elbow strike) - Dwi Chigi
- Ridge Hand Outward Strike (Ridge Hand Strike) - Sonnaldeung Bakkat Chigi
- Side Strike - Yeop Chigi
- Supporting Strike - Geodeureo Chigi
- Swallow Strike (block upwards and strike inwards at same time) - Jebipum Chigi
- Target Strike - Pyojeok Chigi
- Turning Strike - Dollyeo Chigi
- Twisting Strike - Biteureo Chigi
- Upward Strike (i.e. wrist bone is used to strike vertically) - Ollyeo Chigi
Taekwondo Strikes - Korean to English
- An Chigi - Inward Strike
- Ap Chigi - Forward Strike
- Bakkat Chigi - Outward Strike
- Batangson Chigi - Palm Heel Strike (Palm Strike)
- Biteureo Chigi - Twisting Strike
- Danggyeo Chigi - Pulling Strike
- Deungjumeok Chigi - Back Knuckle Strike (Back Fist)
- Dollyeo Chigi - Turning Strike
- Dwi Chigi - Elbow Strike To The Rear (i.e. rear elbow strike)
- Geodeureo Chigi - Supporting Strike
- Jebipum Chigi - Swallow Strike (block upwards and strike inwards at same time)
- Mejumeok Naeryeo Chigi - Hammer Hand Downward Strike (Hammer Fist)
- Naeyeo Chigi - Downward Strike
- Ollyeo Chigi - Upward Strike (i.e. wrist bone is used to strike vertically)
- Palgup Dollyeo Chigi - Elbow Turn Strike (Elbow Strike)
- Pyojeok Chigi - Target Strike
- Sonnal Chigi - Hand Blade Strike (Knife Hand Strike)
- Sonnaldeung Bakkat Chigi - Ridge Hand Outward Strike (Ridge Hand Strike)
- Yeop Chigi - Side Strike
- Kukkiwon World Taekwondo Headquarters, Taekwondo Techniques, http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/front/pageView.action?cmd=/eng/information/taekwondoSkill2, Added - 06/10/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Perseverance With Health Issues ! This title can be an extraneous issue for those who havn't experienced a serious event. For those otherwise, it can be a nightmare ! Many MA's experience the bruises and they eventually subside in a short period, but those who have serious injuries ...
- Rewrapping sai - looking for advice Last summer, the cheap wraps on one of my sai started coming off. I decided to look up how to change the wrap, and found two videos in particular that greatly assisted me. Below is a link to a picture with one original (black) wrap and one sai with t...
- Positives AND negatives for new martial arts students over 60? Since we have a good number of "mature" :) martial arts students & instructors on this site, I thought you might like to share some of your knowledge & give some advice. What would you tell to a person who was over 60 and thinking about joining a marti...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi