List of Important Taekwondo Words, Terms and Commands
Help others by adding details to this martial arts wiki. Click here to join. Martial artists can help with instructions (i.e. Shotokan Kata, Kicks, WTF Forms, Punches, ITF Patterns, Aikido Techniques, Goju-Ryu Kata, Krav Maga Techniques, Bo Staff, Other Katas), sports & fitness buffs with Physical Fitness, etc.
Member benefits - Join wiki as it is free. You will help others. You do not see many of the ads on the wiki. You can win prizes & much more. Or join our new martial arts social network and meet other martial artists.
List of Important Taekwondo Words, Terms and Commands - Section supported by Taekwondo books
Here are many of the basic Korean words, terms and commands used in Taekwondo. Many Taekwondo schools in the USA and around the world are run by Korean instructors thus you will have to learn some basic Korean during your training (i.e. Korean Numbers, Korean names of kicks, etc.). This page will help you to properly pronounce basic Taekwondo words and terms. For the Korean names of specific Taekwondo techniques (i.e. Front Kick - Ap Chagi or Back Stance - Dwi Kubi Seogi), please also visit the sections focused on Taekwondo kicks, Taekwondo stances, Taekwondo punches, Taekwondo blocks, etc.
For other martial arts words & commands, please visit the main Martial Arts Terminology section.
Taekwondo Words & Commands - English to Korean
- Arc Hand - Ageumson
- Arm - Pal
- Attention - Charyut (sounds like Chari-yut)
- Begin - Sijak
- Belt - Ti
- Block - Makgi (sounds like Mah-key)
- Bow - Kyungnet
- Breaking - Kyukpa
- Continue - Kaesok
- Dodge or Evade - Pihagi
- Elbow - Palgup
- Fist - Joomock
- Foot - Baal
- Foot (Ball of Foot) - Apchuk
- Foot Blade - Balnal
- Foot Instep - Baldeung
- Forms - Poomse or Poomsae (sounds like Poom-say)
- Grab - Japgi
- Hand - Son
- Head - Mori
- Instructor - Sabomnim (sounds like Sah-bum-nim)
- Jump - Ttwigi
- Kick - Chagi (sounds like Cha-gee)
- Knee - Mureup
- Leg - Dari
- Neck - Mok (or Mog)
- Punch - Jireugi
- Push - Milgi
- Ready - Joon Bi
- Referee - Joo Sim
- Return (i.e. turn & face instructor at the end of a form) - Baro (sounds like Baa-row)
- School (Taekwondo) - Dojang
- Self-Defense - Hosinsool
- Shin - Jeonggangi
- Sparring - Kyorugi
- Stance - Sogi or Seogi (sounds like Say-oh-gee)
- Stop - Kalyeo
- Strike - Chigi (sounds like Chee-gee)
- Thank you - Kamsa Hamnae Da (sounds like Kamsa-ham-ni-da)
- Thrust - Jjireugi
- Uniform - Dobok
- Yell - Kihap (sounds like Kee-yah-p) - word to use when you are kicking or punching for power
Korean Names for Taekwondo Kicks
- TaekwondoAnimals.com, Taekwondo Words & Commands, http://www.taekwondoanimals.com/taekwondo-words-terms.asp, Added - 4/26/13
- Kukkiwon World Taekwondo Headquarters, Taekwondo Techniques, http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/front/pageView.action?cmd=/eng/information/taekwondoSkill2, Added - 06/10/14
Our free monthly email newsletter provides subscribers with wiki & community updates.
The wiki newsletter is sent out around the beginning of the month.
Popular Wiki Social Networking Posts
Recent Wiki Social Networking Posts
Want to add your thoughts to these martial arts discussions? Then join our free martial arts social network.
Sign in with Facebook or create your own account by filling in the required info & adding your own unique password. This martial arts social network is separate from the wiki & easier to join.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer.