List of Important Taekwondo Words, Terms and Commands
Here are many of the basic Korean words, terms and commands used in Taekwondo. Many Taekwondo schools in the USA and around the world are run by Korean instructors thus you will have to learn some basic Korean during your training (i.e. Korean Numbers, Korean names of kicks, etc.). This page will help you to properly pronounce basic Taekwondo words and terms. For the Korean names of specific Taekwondo techniques (i.e. Front Kick - Ap Chagi or Back Stance - Dwi Kubi Seogi), please also visit the sections focused on Taekwondo kicks, Taekwondo stances, Taekwondo punches, Taekwondo blocks, etc.
For other martial arts words & commands, please visit the main Martial Arts Terminology section.
Taekwondo Words & Commands - English to Korean
- Arc Hand - Ageumson
- Arm - Pal
- Attention - Charyut (sounds like Chari-yut)
- Begin - Sijak
- Belt - Ti
- Block - Makgi (sounds like Mah-key)
- Bow - Kyungnet
- Breaking - Kyukpa
- Continue - Kaesok
- Dodge or Evade - Pihagi
- Elbow - Palgup
- Fist - Joomock
- Foot - Baal
- Foot (Ball of Foot) - Apchuk
- Foot Blade - Balnal
- Foot Instep - Baldeung
- Forms - Poomse or Poomsae (sounds like Poom-say)
- Grab - Japgi
- Hand - Son
- Head - Mori
- Instructor - Sabomnim (sounds like Sah-bum-nim)
- Jump - Ttwigi
- Kick - Chagi (sounds like Cha-gee)
- Knee - Mureup
- Leg - Dari
- Neck - Mok (or Mog)
- Punch - Jireugi
- Push - Milgi
- Ready - Joon Bi
- Referee - Joo Sim
- Return (i.e. turn & face instructor at the end of a form) - Baro (sounds like Baa-row)
- School (Taekwondo) - Dojang
- Self-Defense - Hosinsool
- Shin - Jeonggangi
- Sparring - Kyorugi
- Stance - Sogi or Seogi (sounds like Say-oh-gee)
- Stop - Kalyeo
- Strike - Chigi (sounds like Chee-gee)
- Thank you - Kamsa Hamnae Da (sounds like Kamsa-ham-ni-da)
- Thrust - Jjireugi
- Uniform - Dobok
- Yell - Kihap (sounds like Kee-yah-p) - word to use when you are kicking or punching for power
Korean Names for Taekwondo Kicks
- TaekwondoAnimals.com, Taekwondo Words & Commands, http://www.taekwondoanimals.com/taekwondo-words-terms.asp, Added - 4/26/13
- Kukkiwon World Taekwondo Headquarters, Taekwondo Techniques, http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/front/pageView.action?cmd=/eng/information/taekwondoSkill2, Added - 06/10/14
This email newsletter provides subscribers with wiki & community updates.
- 06/15/15 - We are getting a lot of assistance with information on Japanese and Korean martial arts (such as Karate and Taekwondo). However, we need help with other popular styles. There are tons of Kung Fu and BJJ students in the world… please add your knowledge to the wiki and help beginners!
- 06/10/15 - Our martial arts social network (Black Belt Wiki Community) is a month old. It is off to a great start with tons of active discussions. We want to thank all of the active community posters such as Andrea, Andy, Chris, Fran, John, Llewena, Philip, Rachel, Rebel, SenseiMG, Superamazingbadgerman and many others. You are making this community informative… and fun! Click here if you want to join this community and meet other martial arts enthusiasts.
- 06/05/15 - Members - We need your help with written instructions for a number of Kicks, Kata & Forms, Punches, Grappling & Submissions, etc. Please help others by adding step-by-step instructions to any pages missing written instructions. Adding videos is great but adding written instructions is even better! :)
Top-Rated & Popular Community Posts
Add to these discussions by joining our new & free community section.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer.