List of Important Taekwondo Words, Terms and Commands
Join Black Belt Wiki. Membership is free. Help build this martial arts wiki. Share your knowledge so others may learn. Benefits - Members do not see ads on the top & right side of wiki, add your martial arts site to pages that you edit, add your site to our Blog & School directories, etc. Black belts can help with instructions (i.e. Shotokan Katas, Kicks, Taekwondo Forms, Aikido Techniques, Bo Staff Techniques, Krav Maga Techniques, Goju-Ryu Katas), athletes with Strength, Conditioning & Stretching, grapplers with Submissions, etc.
|List of Important Taekwondo Words, Terms and Commands
Here are many of the basic Korean words, terms and commands used in Taekwondo. Many Taekwondo schools in the USA and around the world are run by Korean instructors thus you will have to learn some basic Korean during your training (i.e. Korean Numbers, Korean names of kicks, etc.). This page will help you to properly pronounce basic Taekwondo words and terms. For the Korean names of specific Taekwondo techniques (i.e. Front Kick - Ap Chagi or Back Stance - Dwi Kubi Seogi), please also visit the sections focused on Taekwondo kicks, Taekwondo stances, Taekwondo punches, Taekwondo blocks, etc.
For other martial arts words & commands, please visit the main Martial Arts Terminology section.
Taekwondo Words & Commands - English to Korean
- Arc Hand - Ageumson
- Arm - Pal
- Attention - Charyut (sounds like Chari-yut)
- Begin - Sijak
- Belt - Ti
- Block - Makgi (sounds like Mah-key)
- Bow - Kyungnet
- Breaking - Kyukpa
- Continue - Kaesok
- Dodge or Evade - Pihagi
- Elbow - Palgup
- Fist - Joomock
- Foot - Baal
- Foot (Ball of Foot) - Apchuk
- Foot Blade - Balnal
- Foot Instep - Baldeung
- Forms - Poomse or Poomsae (sounds like Poom-say)
- Grab - Japgi
- Hand - Son
- Head - Moli
- Instructor - Sabomnim (sounds like Sah-bum-nim)
- Jump - Ttwigi
- Kick - Chagi (sounds like Cha-gee)
- Knee - Mureup
- Leg - Dari
- Neck - Mok (or Mog)
- Punch - Jireugi
- Push - Milgi
- Ready - Joon Bi
- Referee - Joo Sim
- Return (i.e. turn & face instructor at the end of a form) - Baro (sounds like Baa-row)
- School (Taekwondo) - Dojang
- Self-Defense - Hosinsool
- Shin - Jeonggangi
- Sparring - Kyorugi
- Stance - Sogi or Seogi (sounds like Say-oh-gee)
- Stop - Kalyeo
- Strike - Chigi (sounds like Chee-gee)
- Thank you - Kamsa Hamnae Da (sounds like Kamsa-ham-ni-da)
- Thrust - Jjireugi
- Uniform - Dobok
- Yell - Kihap (sounds like Kee-yah-p) - word to use when you are kicking or punching for power
Korean Names for Taekwondo Kicks
- TaekwondoAnimals.com, Taekwondo Words & Commands, http://www.taekwondoanimals.com/taekwondo-words-terms.asp, Added - 4/26/13
- Kukkiwon World Taekwondo Headquarters, Taekwondo Techniques, http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/front/pageView.action?cmd=/eng/information/taekwondoSkill2, Added - 06/10/14
Members - Please verify the accuracy of any edits with an online reference.
If you add reference material, it should be only a couple of sentences long, placed within quotation marks and the source should be referenced.
We promise a maximum of only 1 or 2 email newsletters per month.
Each newsletter provides wiki updates, martial arts tips and more.
The material contained herein may not be reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki. All rights reserved.