List of Important Taekwondo Words, Terms and Commands
Here are many of the basic Korean words, terms and commands used in Taekwondo. Many Taekwondo schools in the USA and around the world are run by Korean instructors thus you will have to learn some basic Korean during your training (i.e. Korean Numbers, Korean names of kicks, etc.). This page will help you to properly pronounce basic Taekwondo words and terms. For the Korean names of specific Taekwondo techniques (i.e. Front Kick - Ap Chagi or Back Stance - Dwi Kubi Seogi), please also visit the sections focused on Taekwondo kicks, Taekwondo stances, Taekwondo punches, Taekwondo blocks, etc.
For other martial arts words & commands, please visit the main Martial Arts Terminology section.
Taekwondo Words & Commands - English to Korean
- Arc Hand - Ageumson
- Arm - Pal
- Attention - Charyut (sounds like Chari-yut)
- Begin - Sijak
- Belt - Ti
- Block - Makgi (sounds like Mah-key)
- Bow - Kyungnet
- Breaking - Kyukpa
- Continue - Kaesok
- Dodge or Evade - Pihagi
- Elbow - Palgup
- Fist - Joomock
- Foot - Baal
- Foot (Ball of Foot) - Apchuk
- Foot Blade - Balnal
- Foot Instep - Baldeung
- Forms - Poomse or Poomsae (sounds like Poom-say)
- Grab - Japgi
- Hand - Son
- Head - Mori
- Instructor - Sabomnim (sounds like Sah-bum-nim)
- Jump - Ttwigi
- Kick - Chagi (sounds like Cha-gee)
- Knee - Mureup
- Leg - Dari
- Neck - Mok (or Mog)
- Punch - Jireugi
- Push - Milgi
- Ready - Joon Bi
- Referee - Joo Sim
- Return (i.e. turn & face instructor at the end of a form) - Baro (sounds like Baa-row)
- School (Taekwondo) - Dojang
- Self-Defense - Hosinsool
- Shin - Jeonggangi
- Sparring - Kyorugi
- Stance - Sogi or Seogi (sounds like Say-oh-gee)
- Stop - Kalyeo
- Strike - Chigi (sounds like Chee-gee)
- Thank you - Kamsa Hamnae Da (sounds like Kamsa-ham-ni-da)
- Thrust - Jjireugi
- Uniform - Dobok
- Yell - Kihap (sounds like Kee-yah-p) - word to use when you are kicking or punching for power
Korean Names for Taekwondo Kicks
- TaekwondoAnimals.com, Taekwondo Words & Commands, http://www.taekwondoanimals.com/taekwondo-words-terms.asp, Added - 4/26/13
- Kukkiwon World Taekwondo Headquarters, Taekwondo Techniques, http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/front/pageView.action?cmd=/eng/information/taekwondoSkill2, Added - 06/10/14
Sign up for our free wiki newsletter. We promise to send only 1 or 2 email newsletters per month.
Wiki Updates & News
Wiki members can post questions & suggestions on the Wiki Message Board.
- 04/24/15 - We need some help building out the joint locks section. For example, we need more knee bar techniques. Please add any that are missing and/or look at the grappling section and see if any grappling techniques can be moved over to the knee bar page. You can also post techniques on the wiki forum (members only) and we will do the editing for you. Thanks!
- 04/23/15 - This week, we have been adding a number of new sections. With the help of Chris, we have created a section that looks at Children and the Martial Arts. We have also been adding a number of weapons-based martial arts such as Sojutsu (Spear Fighting) and Jukendo (Bayonet Fighting).
- 04/20/15 - We are reopening the Wiki Message Board so that members can discuss techniques, etc. However, only members can view this message board. So if you want to participate, please become a wiki member. You can even win prizes for posting lots of interesting/useful comments on this forum.
- 04/15/15 - Andy has been on a tear over the past few days. He has added a ton of great information to a wide variety of martial arts weapons-related pages such as the Tanto, Nunchakujutsu, Wakazashi, Bokken, etc.
- 04/09/15 - Our thanks to Chris who has been adding much needed anatomical data (i.e. areas to strike or protect on the human body) to a variety of pages such as Anatomy and Bones & the Martial Arts.
- 04/09/15 - We have added the four finger poke and two finger poke to the main punches & hand strikes section. Of course, we had to add a Three Stooges clip to the two fingers page. :)
- 04/08/15 - Nathan has started to add some instructions for Bruce Lee's famous Wing Chun One Inch Punch. If there are any Wing Chun students who would like to help, we would love to get your perspective & tips on this punch.
- 04/08/15 - We are still working on the Marine Corps Martial Arts section. We hope to have all of the instructions for the tan belt techniques (i.e. Leg Sweep) finished in the next week or two.
Before You Leave… Please Become A Wiki Member!
Help others learn about techniques, different martial arts styles & sports fitness (i.e. strength training). Or contact us if you think something is missing or should be added to the wiki. Or add us to your favorites list!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer.