Help others by adding details to this martial arts wiki. Martial artists can help with instructions (i.e. Shotokan Kata, Kicks, WTF Forms, Punches, ITF Patterns, Aikido Techniques, Goju-Ryu Kata, Krav Maga Techniques, Bo Staff, Other Katas), athletes with Strength, Conditioning & Stretching, grapplers with Submissions, film buffs with Martial Arts Movies, linguists with Terminology, etc.
Member benefits - It is free, you will be helping beginners, members do not see the ads on the top of the wiki, you can list your website on pages where you add info, contributors are highlighted in our newsletter & much more. Everyone is welcome. Click to join!
List of Important Taekwondo Words, Terms and Commands
Here are many of the basic Korean words, terms and commands used in Taekwondo. Many Taekwondo schools in the USA and around the world are run by Korean instructors thus you will have to learn some basic Korean during your training (i.e. Korean Numbers, Korean names of kicks, etc.). This page will help you to properly pronounce basic Taekwondo words and terms. For the Korean names of specific Taekwondo techniques (i.e. Front Kick - Ap Chagi or Back Stance - Dwi Kubi Seogi), please also visit the sections focused on Taekwondo kicks, Taekwondo stances, Taekwondo punches, Taekwondo blocks, etc.
For other martial arts words & commands, please visit the main Martial Arts Terminology section.
Taekwondo Words & Commands - English to Korean
- Arc Hand - Ageumson
- Arm - Pal
- Attention - Charyut (sounds like Chari-yut)
- Begin - Sijak
- Belt - Ti
- Block - Makgi (sounds like Mah-key)
- Bow - Kyungnet
- Breaking - Kyukpa
- Continue - Kaesok
- Dodge or Evade - Pihagi
- Elbow - Palgup
- Fist - Joomock
- Foot - Baal
- Foot (Ball of Foot) - Apchuk
- Foot Blade - Balnal
- Foot Instep - Baldeung
- Forms - Poomse or Poomsae (sounds like Poom-say)
- Grab - Japgi
- Hand - Son
- Head - Moli
- Instructor - Sabomnim (sounds like Sah-bum-nim)
- Jump - Ttwigi
- Kick - Chagi (sounds like Cha-gee)
- Knee - Mureup
- Leg - Dari
- Neck - Mok (or Mog)
- Punch - Jireugi
- Push - Milgi
- Ready - Joon Bi
- Referee - Joo Sim
- Return (i.e. turn & face instructor at the end of a form) - Baro (sounds like Baa-row)
- School (Taekwondo) - Dojang
- Self-Defense - Hosinsool
- Shin - Jeonggangi
- Sparring - Kyorugi
- Stance - Sogi or Seogi (sounds like Say-oh-gee)
- Stop - Kalyeo
- Strike - Chigi (sounds like Chee-gee)
- Thank you - Kamsa Hamnae Da (sounds like Kamsa-ham-ni-da)
- Thrust - Jjireugi
- Uniform - Dobok
- Yell - Kihap (sounds like Kee-yah-p) - word to use when you are kicking or punching for power
Korean Names for Taekwondo Kicks
- Axe Kick - Naeryeo-Chagi
- Back Kick - Dwi-Chagi
- Crescent Kick - Bandal-Chagi
- Front Kick - Ap-Chagi
- Hook Kick - Huryeo-Chagi
- Push Kick - Meereo-Chagi
- Roundhouse Kick - Dollyo-Chagi
- Scissor Kick - Kawi-Chagi
- Side Kick - Yeop-Chagi
- Spinning Hook Kick - Dwi-Huryeo-Chagi
- For the Korean names of other kicks, please visit the Taekwondo Kicks section.
Resources on Amazon
Books on Taekwondo Techniques
- TaekwondoAnimals.com, Taekwondo Words & Commands, http://www.taekwondoanimals.com/taekwondo-words-terms.asp, Added - 4/26/13
- Kukkiwon World Taekwondo Headquarters, Taekwondo Techniques, http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/front/pageView.action?cmd=/eng/information/taekwondoSkill2, Added - 06/10/14
Click here to join Black Belt Wiki. Free membership.
Can't find something? Try our Wiki Search Engine.
Sign up for our free wiki newsletter. It is an easy way for you to remember us. :)
We promise to send only 1 or 2 email newsletters per month. Each newsletter provides wiki updates, martial arts tips and more.
Support this wiki. At no extra cost to you, we make a small commission on each sale via the links below (i.e. Amazon).
Post A Question For Your Fellow Martial Artists or Suggest An Improvement For This Wiki
Anyone can post. To leave a comment, you can log-in via Facebook, Twitter, Google or even post as a guest.
Posting rules - Respect all martial styles, be civil, no aggressive self-promotion and no spam.
Violations of these rules will cause posts to be edited or deleted.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki. All rights reserved.
Websites may link to Black Belt Wiki. However, the text link must clearly identify Black Belt Wiki as the reference source.
For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer.