List of Important Taekwondo Words, Terms and Commands
Here are many of the basic Korean words, terms and commands used in Taekwondo. Many Taekwondo schools in the USA and around the world are run by Korean instructors thus you will have to learn some basic Korean during your training (i.e. Korean Numbers, Korean names of kicks, etc.). This page will help you to properly pronounce basic Taekwondo words and terms. For the Korean names of specific Taekwondo techniques (i.e. Front Kick - Ap Chagi or Back Stance - Dwi Kubi Seogi), please also visit the sections focused on Taekwondo kicks, Taekwondo stances, Taekwondo punches, Taekwondo blocks, etc.
For other martial arts words & commands, please visit the main Martial Arts Terminology section.
Section supported by Taekwondo books
Taekwondo Words & Commands - English to Korean
- Arc Hand - Ageumson
- Arm - Pal
- Attention - Charyut (sounds like Chari-yut)
- Begin - Sijak
- Belt - Ti
- Block - Makgi (sounds like Mah-key)
- Bow - Kyungnet
- Breaking - Kyukpa
- Continue - Kaesok
- Dodge or Evade - Pihagi
- Elbow - Palgup
- Fist - Joomock
- Foot - Baal
- Foot (Ball of Foot) - Apchuk
- Foot Blade - Balnal
- Foot Instep - Baldeung
- Forms - Poomse or Poomsae (sounds like Poom-say)
- Grab - Japgi
- Hand - Son
- Head - Mori
- Instructor - Sabomnim (sounds like Sah-bum-nim)
- Jump - Ttwigi
- Kick - Chagi (sounds like Cha-gee)
- Knee - Mureup
- Leg - Dari
- Neck - Mok (or Mog)
- Punch - Jireugi
- Push - Milgi
- Ready - Joon Bi
- Referee - Joo Sim
- Return (i.e. turn & face instructor at the end of a form) - Baro (sounds like Baa-row)
- School (Taekwondo) - Dojang
- Self-Defense - Hosinsool
- Shin - Jeonggangi
- Sparring - Kyorugi
- Stance - Sogi or Seogi (sounds like Say-oh-gee)
- Stop - Kalyeo
- Strike - Chigi (sounds like Chee-gee)
- Thank you - Kamsa Hamnae Da (sounds like Kamsa-ham-ni-da)
- Thrust - Jjireugi
- Uniform - Dobok
- Yell - Kihap (sounds like Kee-yah-p) - word to use when you are kicking or punching for power
Korean Names for Taekwondo Kicks
- TaekwondoAnimals.com, Taekwondo Words & Commands, http://www.taekwondoanimals.com/taekwondo-words-terms.asp, Added - 4/26/13
- Kukkiwon World Taekwondo Headquarters, Taekwondo Techniques, http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/front/pageView.action?cmd=/eng/information/taekwondoSkill2, Added - 06/10/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Join the Wiki Community!
Help add knowledge to this free wiki and meet other martial artists.
Recent "Wiki Community" Posts
- Karate making a "comeback" in MMA? Ever since Royce Gracie changed the MMA world in the early 1990s, the UFC has been dominated by fighters who seem to end fights via BJJ-like submissions. However, people are starting to keep an eye on Stephen Thompson, a MMA fighter who uses a lot of...
- Need help with a disabled student. So we've had a bit of an issue that has been ongoing, but is coming up enough that I need some help with. Our club is small, and the instructor has had a student from almost the beginning (4 yrs) that is mentally disabled, (has aspergers syndrome, whic...
- Is MMA causing an issue with traditional martial arts?? O.K I know this might be a touchy subject, I hope that we can keep it helpful and respectful. I recently entered myself and my son in an "open tournament" hosted by a "MMA" club. they advertised that it was going to be sparring and grappling. The sparr...
Popular "Wiki Community" Posts
Top Wiki & Community Contributors
We want to highlight & reward our top members for their contributions.
Please visit their profiles for more info on their blogs, schools, etc.
Our free email newsletter provides subscribers with wiki & community updates.
This newsletter is sent out once per month.
If you spot a problem, broken video or missing wiki page,
please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also add your knowledge & help us build the Wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer.