List of Tai Chi Words, Commands & Terminology
Here are many of the basic Chinese words, terms and commands used in Tai Chi.
For other martial arts words & commands, please visit the main Martial Arts Terminology section.
Important Tai Chi Words & Commands
- Begin - Kai Shi
- Bow - Kow Tow
- Cheers (when drinking/celebrating) - Gan Bei
- Essence - Jing
- Forms - Taolu
- Good - Hao (sounds like How). Very good is Hěn Hǎo (Hung How) and not good is Bù Hǎo (Boo How).
- Goodbye - Zai Jian
- Hello - Ni Hao (sounds like Nee How)
- How Are You? - Ni Hao Ma
- I - Wa
- Internal Arts - Neijia
- Kick - Ti
- Life Energy - Qi or Chi
- Life Energy Cultivation - Qigong
- Master - Shifu
- Mediation (Standing) - Zhanzhuang
- No - Bù (Boo)
- Not Good - Bù Hǎo (Boo How)
- Punch - Quan
- Pushing Hands - Tuishou
- Spirit - Shen
- Student - Tu Di
- Teacher or Instructor - Lao Shi
- Thank You - Xie Xie
- Very Good - Hěn Hǎo (Hung How)
- You - Ni or Nee
- You Are Welcome - Bu-ke-qi (literally means don't act like a guest)
- Taichi And Qigong Austin TX, Glossary, http://austin-classical-taichi.com/resources/glossary-of-terms-used-in-this-site/, Added - 06/12/14
- International Yang Family Tai Chi Chuan Association, Ranking Theory Tests Study Material, http://www.yangfamilytaichi.com/about/study/, Added - 06/12/14
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Martial arts tattoos Do you have any? What are your thoughts on them? I had one done a couple of years ago and I have decided to have a second one done today.
- Welcome to all of our recent new members I want to welcome the following new members: [239660,David Byler] , [239549,Hossein] , [239548,Graeme Reay] , [239422,Nick Santa Anna] , [239394,Marcus Moore] , [239264,Paul Helton] , [239260,Simon Mackenzie] , [239205,Rock Carey Sr.] , [239198,Vicki ...
- Lee Yingarn (1of2) Old school Tai Chi. Companion to a book showing/teaching soft and hard tai chi. 😎
- Perseverance With Health Issues ! This title can be an extraneous issue for those who havn't experienced a serious event. For those otherwise, it can be a nightmare ! Many MA's experience the bruises and they eventually subside in a short period, but those who have serious injuries ...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi