Learn about Taiho Jutsu - Japanese Martial Arts for Police
Taiho Jutsu is a Japanese martial arts style that was originally designed to help feudal police arrest armed criminals. In modern times, Taiho Jutsu focuses heavily on non-lethal approaches (i.e. joint locks for restraint). However, Taiho Jutsu students also receive a large amount of training in traditional martial arts techniques such as kicks and punches.
According to the International Taiho Jutsu Federation, "The combination of wrist controls, arm controls, holds and locks used in Ju Jutsu, Aikido and Judo, make Taiho Jutsu an ideal art for police officers. The “harder” karate techniques were added in case the use of force escalates and a stronger amount of force is necessary. Combined together, this martial art is without equal, not only for police work, but all around self-defense."
Techniques used in Taiho Jutsu
- Posture, Stances and Breakfalls - Tachi Waza and Ukemi
- Body Movement - Tai Sabaki Waza, Kuzushi
- Striking Techniques - Ate Waza, Uchi Waza, Uchi Tsuki
- Kicking Techniques - Keri Waza
- Blocking Techniques - Uke Waza
- Vital Point Techniques and Pressure Points - Atemi Waza
- Joint Locking Techniques - Kansetsu Waza
- Counter Techniques - Gyaku Waza
- Strangulation Techniques - Shime Waza
- Holding Techniques - Osae Waza
- Arresting Techniques - Taiho Waza
- Defense Against Weapons - Bogyo Senjutsu
- Throwing Techniques - Nage Waza
- Self-Defense Techniques: Counters, Escapes, Avoidance - Kaeshi, Fusegi, Furimi
- Use of Specialized Weapons - Keii, Handcuffs, Plastic Ties
- Special Considerations: Defense against Gun, Knife, and Club
Belt Levels in Taiho Jutsu (per the International Taiho Jutsu Federation)
- New Student - Kyu - White Belt
- 10th Class - Ju kyu - White Belt
- 9th Class - Ku Kyu - White Belt
- 8th Class - Hachi Kyu - Yellow Belt
- 7th Class - Shichi Kyu - Yellow Belt
- 6th Class - Ro Kyu - Blue Belt
- 5th Class - Go Kyu - Green Belt
- 4th Class - Yon Kyu - Green Belt
- 3rd Class - Sankyu - Brown Belt
- 2nd Class - Nikyu - Brown Belt
- 1st Class - Ikkyu - Brown Belt
- 1st Grade - Shodan - 1st Degree Black Belt
- 2nd Grade - Nidan - 2nd Degree Black Belt
- 3rd Grade - Sandan - 3rd Degree Black Belt
- 4th Grade - Yodan - 4th Degree Black Belt
- 5th Grade - Godan - 5th Degree Black Belt
- 6th Grade - Rokudan - 6th Degree Black Belt
- 7th Grade - Shichidan - 7th Degree Black Belt
- 8th Grade - Hichidan - 8th Degree Black Belt
- 9th Grade - Kudan - 9th Degree Black Belt
- 10th Grade - Judan - 10th Degree Black Belt
- United States Taiho Jutsu Association, Overview, http://ustjf.us/over.html, Added - 11/16/13
- International Taiho Jutsu Federation, History of Taiho Jutsu, http://www.itjf.net/history.html, Added - 11/17/13
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Welcome to all of our recent new members I want to welcome the following new members: [239660,David Byler] , [239549,Hossein] , [239548,Graeme Reay] , [239422,Nick Santa Anna] , [239394,Marcus Moore] , [239264,Paul Helton] , [239260,Simon Mackenzie] , [239205,Rock Carey Sr.] , [239198,Vicki ...
- Lee Yingarn (1of2) Old school Tai Chi. Companion to a book showing/teaching soft and hard tai chi. 😎
- Perseverance With Health Issues ! This title can be an extraneous issue for those who havn't experienced a serious event. For those otherwise, it can be a nightmare ! Many MA's experience the bruises and they eventually subside in a short period, but those who have serious injuries ...
- Rewrapping sai - looking for advice Last summer, the cheap wraps on one of my sai started coming off. I decided to look up how to change the wrap, and found two videos in particular that greatly assisted me. Below is a link to a picture with one original (black) wrap and one sai with t...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi