List of Key Martial Arts Terminology, Commands, etc.
Each martial arts style has its own unique terminology. Moreover, many martial arts schools use foreign language words and commands to describe their techniques, counting systems (i.e. numbers 1-20), kicks, stances, etc. For example, if you are attending a Taekwondo school, you might need to learn how to count in Korean. Therefore, we are providing you with the key words, numbers and commands used by different martial arts styles.
If you would like to learn how to pronounce common foreign language words and phrases, please visit the Martial Arts Languages section.
Amazon - Books on Asian Languages
Martial Arts Terminology
How To Count In Martial Arts (Foreign Language Numbers)
Common Phrases (i.e. Hello and Goodbye)
- Brazilian Martial Arts Language - Brazilian for martial arts such as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Capoeira, etc.
- Chinese Martial Arts Language - Mandarin for martial arts such as Kung Fu, Sanshou, etc.
- Filipino Martial Arts Language - Filipino language lessons for martial arts such as Eskrima, etc.
- Korean Martial Arts Language - Korean for martial arts such as Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, Hapkido, etc.
- Japanese Martial Arts Language - Japanese for martial arts such as Karate, Aikido, Judo, etc.
- Russian Martial Arts Language - Russian for martial arts such as Sambo, Systema, etc.
- Thai Martial Arts Language - Thai for martial arts such as Muay Thai.
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Top 10 Deadliest Lists Ever!!! Here is my definitive list of top 10 MA lists. They are in order of which ever one I randomly chose and therefore completely relevant! Anyone who doesn't agree with my list will go on to my list of people who don't agree with my list list! :) 0. https...
- New MA World Record A new Guinness World record for breaking blocks has recently been set, here is a link to the article and video, I don't know about anyone else but I seriously doubt the composite structure of those blocks especially given the nature of the technique us...
- Famous Karate Quotes The wiki has a page on famous martial arts quotes - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/martial-arts-quotes However, it is severely lacking many good Karate quotes. Can you please post some of the classic Karate quotes (with the associated style & originator...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi