List of Wado-Ryu Stances
This page provides details about the different stances used in Wado-Ryu Karate. These stances are used in kata, sparring, training, etc. In contrast to longer and deeper Shotokan stances, Wado-Ryu stances are closer and more "natural".
If you are looking for other stances (i.e. Shotokan), please visit the main Martial Arts Stances section.
Wado-Ryu Stances - Click on stance links for videos and instructions.
- Chinto dachi - Chinto stance
- Fudo dachi - Free stance
- Gankaku dachi (or Sagi ashi dachi) - Crane or heron stance
- Gyaku neko ashi dachi - Reverse cat stance
- Gyaku zuki dachi - Reverse punch stance
- Gyaku zuki tsukkomi dachi - Reverse lunge stance
- Hachiji dachi - Ready stance
- Hangetsu dachi - Half-Moon stance
- Hanmi neko ashi dachi - Half turned cat stance
- Heiko dachi - Parallel stance
- Heisoku dachi - Narrow or closed stance
- Jun zuki dachi - Front punch or jab stance
- Jun zuki tsukkomi dachi - Front lunge punch stannce
- Kiba dachi - Horse riding stance (Feet shoulder width apart, toes pointed slightly in, knees bent and buttox pulled under slightly)
- Kokutsu dachi - Back stance
- Kosa dachi - Crossed leg stance
- Musubi dachi - Attention stance
- Naifanchi dachi - Modified horse stance
- Neko ashi dachi - Cat stance (about 80% weight on back foot, should be able to raise front leg for kick or dodge kick easily)
- No tsukomi dachi - Forward lunging stance
- Reinoji dachi - L stance
- Sagi ashi dachi (or Gankaku dachi) - Crane or heron stance (Really only use in Chinto Kata)
- Sanchin dachi - Hour-glass stance (Used in place of Zenkutsu dachi, Shorter stance, toes pointing to center of opponent to direct power, also helps with hip and shoulder movement for punches)
- Seisan dachi - Seisan stance
- Shiko dachi - Sumo stance
- Shizentai dachi - Natural stance
- Shomen neko ashi dachi - Forward facing cat stance
- Tate seisan dachi - Vertical seisan stance
- Teiji dachi - T stance
- Yoi dachi - Ready stance (Hands in front of body in ready possition, should be nice and relaxed ready for next drill ect)
- Yoko seisan dachi - Side seisan stance
- Zenkutsu dachi - Forward or front stance
- US Eastern Wado-Ryu Karate Federation, Terminology, http://www.useasternwado.com/TerminologyBasicWaza.htm, Added - 02/11/15
- All Anglia Karate Association, Beginner Stances, http://www.aaka.co.uk/beginner-stances.html, Added - 02/11/15
- Wado-Ryu Karate, Glossary, http://www.wado-ryu-karate.com/Glossary.html, Added - 02/11/15
- Welland Martial Arts Centre, Wado-Kai Karate Terminology, http://www.wellandmartialarts.ca/wado-kai-karate-terminology.shtml, Added - 02/11/15
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- What makes a Master?? Floating around in some posts is the word "master." Personally, I do not like "master" when involved with the martial arts. If someone has mastered something then there is no need to learn more, right? From my understanding, what makes a 8-10 don is th...
- LODGING TOGETHER --- gasskuku Lodging Together in our martial arts perspective is by interactive conversation in shared discussions, that sometimes turns into teaching moments in gaining knowledge or simply transactions and perspectives (yomi) from each other. Shinobu is to endure...
- Tattered, worn, white, blackbelt This video has an example of what I actually want to talk about. I have seen this before. I have seen this a lot... online. What is the deal with these tattered old blackbelts? If you don't know what I mean, skip to 10:57 to get a good look at Jess...
- Top 10 As a follow up to another question. You get 10 techniques to learn for the rset of your life. Stand up, ground throws etc. The jab cross and foot movement are already mastered. As well as the rnc, shrimping and hip ups. What would you choose
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Search Wiki for Martial Arts Techniques & Topics