List of Wado-Ryu Stances
This page provides details about the different stances used in Wado-Ryu Karate. These stances are used in kata, sparring, training, etc. In contrast to longer and deeper Shotokan stances, Wado-Ryu stances are closer and more "natural".
If you are looking for other stances (i.e. Shotokan), please visit the main Martial Arts Stances section.
Wado-Ryu Stances - Click on stance links for videos and instructions.
- Chinto dachi - Chinto stance
- Fudo dachi - Free stance
- Gankaku dachi (or Sagi ashi dachi) - Crane or heron stance
- Gyaku neko ashi dachi - Reverse cat stance
- Gyaku zuki dachi - Reverse punch stance
- Gyaku zuki tsukkomi dachi - Reverse lunge stance
- Hachiji dachi - Ready stance
- Hangetsu dachi - Half-Moon stance
- Hanmi neko ashi dachi - Half turned cat stance
- Heiko dachi - Parallel stance
- Heisoku dachi - Narrow or closed stance
- Jun zuki dachi - Front punch or jab stance
- Jun zuki tsukkomi dachi - Front lunge punch stannce
- Kiba dachi - Horse riding stance (Feet shoulder width apart, toes pointed slightly in, knees bent and buttox pulled under slightly)
- Kokutsu dachi - Back stance
- Kosa dachi - Crossed leg stance
- Musubi dachi - Attention stance
- Naifanchi dachi - Modified horse stance
- Neko ashi dachi - Cat stance (about 80% weight on back foot, should be able to raise front leg for kick or dodge kick easily)
- No tsukomi dachi - Forward lunging stance
- Reinoji dachi - L stance
- Sagi ashi dachi (or Gankaku dachi) - Crane or heron stance (Really only use in Chinto Kata)
- Sanchin dachi - Hour-glass stance (Used in place of Zenkutsu dachi, Shorter stance, toes pointing to center of opponent to direct power, also helps with hip and shoulder movement for punches)
- Seisan dachi - Seisan stance
- Shiko dachi - Sumo stance
- Shizentai dachi - Natural stance
- Shomen neko ashi dachi - Forward facing cat stance
- Tate seisan dachi - Vertical seisan stance
- Teiji dachi - T stance
- Yoi dachi - Ready stance (Hands in front of body in ready possition, should be nice and relaxed ready for next drill ect)
- Yoko seisan dachi - Side seisan stance
- Zenkutsu dachi - Forward or front stance
- US Eastern Wado-Ryu Karate Federation, Terminology, http://www.useasternwado.com/TerminologyBasicWaza.htm, Added - 02/11/15
- All Anglia Karate Association, Beginner Stances, http://www.aaka.co.uk/beginner-stances.html, Added - 02/11/15
- Wado-Ryu Karate, Glossary, http://www.wado-ryu-karate.com/Glossary.html, Added - 02/11/15
- Welland Martial Arts Centre, Wado-Kai Karate Terminology, http://www.wellandmartialarts.ca/wado-kai-karate-terminology.shtml, Added - 02/11/15
Latest Pages Added to Wiki
Popular Community Posts
Latest Posts Added to Community
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Instructional DVDs
- Kata & Forms - Books & DVDs on Karate Kata, TKD Forms, etc.
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, MMA, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring Gloves, Headgear, etc.
- Strength & Conditioning - Books & Equipment
- Stretching & Flexibility - Books & Gear for Flexibility
- Training Gear - Punching Mitts, Heavy Bags, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi