List of Wado-Ryu Stances
This page provides details about the different stances used in Wado-Ryu Karate. These stances are used in kata, sparring, training, etc. In contrast to longer and deeper Shotokan stances, Wado-Ryu stances are closer and more "natural".
If you are looking for other stances (i.e. Shotokan), please visit the main Martial Arts Stances section.
Wado-Ryu Stances - Click on stance links for videos and instructions.
- Chinto dachi - Chinto stance
- Fudo dachi - Free stance
- Gankaku dachi (or Sagi ashi dachi) - Crane or heron stance
- Gyaku neko ashi dachi - Reverse cat stance
- Gyaku zuki dachi - Reverse punch stance
- Gyaku zuki tsukkomi dachi - Reverse lunge stance
- Hachiji dachi - Ready stance
- Hangetsu dachi - Half-Moon stance
- Hanmi neko ashi dachi - Half turned cat stance
- Heiko dachi - Parallel stance
- Heisoku dachi - Narrow or closed stance
- Jun zuki dachi - Front punch or jab stance
- Jun zuki tsukkomi dachi - Front lunge punch stannce
- Kiba dachi - Horse riding stance (Feet shoulder width apart, toes pointed slightly in, knees bent and buttox pulled under slightly)
- Kokutsu dachi - Back stance
- Kosa dachi - Crossed leg stance
- Musubi dachi - Attention stance
- Naifanchi dachi - Modified horse stance
- Neko ashi dachi - Cat stance (about 80% weight on back foot, should be able to raise front leg for kick or dodge kick easily)
- No tsukomi dachi - Forward lunging stance
- Reinoji dachi - L stance
- Sagi ashi dachi (or Gankaku dachi) - Crane or heron stance (Really only use in Chinto Kata)
- Sanchin dachi - Hour-glass stance (Used in place of Zenkutsu dachi, Shorter stance, toes pointing to center of opponent to direct power, also helps with hip and shoulder movement for punches)
- Seisan dachi - Seisan stance
- Shiko dachi - Sumo stance
- Shizentai dachi - Natural stance
- Shomen neko ashi dachi - Forward facing cat stance
- Tate seisan dachi - Vertical seisan stance
- Teiji dachi - T stance
- Yoi dachi - Ready stance (Hands in front of body in ready possition, should be nice and relaxed ready for next drill ect)
- Yoko seisan dachi - Side seisan stance
- Zenkutsu dachi - Forward or front stance
- US Eastern Wado-Ryu Karate Federation, Terminology, http://www.useasternwado.com/TerminologyBasicWaza.htm, Added - 02/11/15
- All Anglia Karate Association, Beginner Stances, http://www.aaka.co.uk/beginner-stances.html, Added - 02/11/15
- Wado-Ryu Karate, Glossary, http://www.wado-ryu-karate.com/Glossary.html, Added - 02/11/15
- Welland Martial Arts Centre, Wado-Kai Karate Terminology, http://www.wellandmartialarts.ca/wado-kai-karate-terminology.shtml, Added - 02/11/15
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Karate Kakie practice I was curious how many of my fellow karateka here practice kakie it is a series of "pushing hands" drills - which accept and flow off of an opponents incoming momentum as well as how to effectively push an opponent It is sometimes also described as ...
- Special Forces Strength Training Here are a few "easy" exercises to spice up your next martial arts strength training workout. I like how he incorporates grappling dummies and plyomterics into his workout. If I had to do this training routine, I would be losing body parts after a few...
- Let's play Detective My instructor and I were talking about the upcoming Power Rangers film, and how it would be different to the original series. He then started to tell me of a movie he saw in the 80's that seemed to follow a similar formula to power rangers, where kids ...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Search Engine
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi