Women's Self-Defense & Rape Prevention
This section focuses on women's self-defense and rape prevention. It looks at information and techniques provided by a number of experts and government organizations.
- Most experts recommend avoiding dangerous situations where you might be attacked (i.e. walking home drunk at night in an isolated area). This is considered the most effective way to prevent a rape situation.
- It is extremely difficult to defend against a large aggressive attacker. However, experts suggest that self-defense training can help to improve the chances of preventing a rape. Nevertheless, self-defense techniques must be practiced frequently and under the supervision of a trained instructor in order to be potentially successful.
- Here are a variety of women self-defense techniques:
- Vital Points - Areas to strike when confronted by an attacker (i.e. eyes or groin).
- Women Self-Defense - Defenses Against Bear Hugs
- Women Self-Defense - Defenses Against Chokes
- Women Self-Defense - Defenses Against Grabs
- Women Self-Defense - Defenses Against Headlocks
- Women Self-Defense - Ground Defense - How to defend yourself if you have been knocked to the ground and/or an attacker is on top of you.
- Ask your martial arts instructor to provide frequent women's self-defense classes.
- Many colleges (i.e. Princeton and University of Miami) are starting to provide Rape Aggression Defense (R.A.D.) courses. According to the University of Miami, "The basic R.A.D. program encompasses 9-12 hours of self-defense instruction with its foundations in education and awareness. The 12 hour course version has a final simulation" (against a padded aggressor).
- The Metropolitan Police Service suggests that you do not accept drinks from strangers because they can be spiked.
- Use the "buddy system". The Metropolitan Police Service suggests "When going to a pub, club or party avoid going alone. Friends can watch out for each other".
- According to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, "Be aware of your surroundings. Knowing where you are and who is around you may help you to find a way to get out of a bad situation" and "Avoid putting music headphones in both ears so that you can be more aware of your surroundings, especially if you are walking alone".
- According to the City of Jefferson's Rape and Assault Prevention Checklist, "If you are followed, get away fast. Change directions or head for open businesses" and "If approached by a stranger, run to the center of the street and don't hesitate to call for help".
FYI - This page is locked. Please contact us if you wish to add information to this page.
- University of Miami, Self-Defense: R.A.D. Program Information, http://www.miami.edu/ref/index.php/umpd/services_programs_umpd_department/self-defense_programs_for_women/self-defense_rad_program_information/, Added - 05/17/15
- Metropolitan Police Service, Drug-assisted rape and sexual assault, http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Safety-advice/1400006933890/1400006933890, Added - 05/17/15
- Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, Avoiding Dangerous Situations, https://www.rainn.org/get-information/sexual-assault-prevention/avoiding-dangerous-situations, Added - 05/17/15
- City of Jefferson, Rape and Assault Prevention Checklist, https://www.jeffcitymo.org/police/RapeAssaultPrevention.html, Added - 05/18/15
- NY Times, College Rape Prevention Program Proves a Rare Success, http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/12/health/college-rape-prevention-program-proves-a-rare-success.html, Added - 06/11/15
- New England Journal of Medicine, Efficacy of a Sexual Assault Resistance Program for University Women, http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1411131, Added - 06/11/15
Wiki Recommendations by Google
New Posts on the Wiki Community
- The Definition of Martial Arts How would you define a martial arts in 50 words or less? Try to make your definition cover all aspects so no martial arts style is forgotten (i.e. weapon-based martial arts). Don't look at a dictionary because the answer can be incomplete as there are ...
- A Couple of less well known Karate Techniques Here are a couple of traditional Okinawan Karate Techniques that are still practiced (to some degree) in a few styles but are on the whole forgotten! http://www.karatebyjesse.com/2-okinawan-karate-deadly-techniques/
- Functional Kata I have been working on the Ashihara Karate section of the wiki. I like how they break out their kata by function. Rather than some elaborate traditional kata with a huge variety of moves (i.e. kicks, punches, throws, sweeps, etc.) & hidden meaning/tech...
- Dog and dog owner defense. Recently my 6 yr old was charged by a "friendly dog"... he ran into the street in fear. Thankfully this is a slow street. The owner is being a bag of snot. Saying "my dog never bit any one" and getting an attitude when I quote the leash and fence l...
- Kudo Helmet Since we are talking about the "different" type of protective headgear used in Daido Juku Kudo, I thought that you might like to watch this video that shows off the headgear. Looks like it is designed to be protective but also offer a lot of visibility...
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.