Women's Self-Defense & Rape Prevention
This section focuses on women's self-defense and rape prevention. It looks at information and techniques provided by a number of experts and government organizations.
- Most experts recommend avoiding dangerous situations where you might be attacked (i.e. walking home drunk at night in an isolated area). This is considered the most effective way to prevent a rape situation.
- It is extremely difficult to defend against a large aggressive attacker. However, experts suggest that self-defense training can help to improve the chances of preventing a rape. Nevertheless, self-defense techniques must be practiced frequently and under the supervision of a trained instructor in order to be potentially successful.
- Here are a variety of women self-defense techniques:
- Vital Points - Areas to strike when confronted by an attacker (i.e. eyes or groin).
- Women Self-Defense - Defenses Against Bear Hugs
- Women Self-Defense - Defenses Against Chokes
- Women Self-Defense - Defenses Against Grabs
- Women Self-Defense - Defenses Against Headlocks
- Women Self-Defense - Ground Defense - How to defend yourself if you have been knocked to the ground and/or an attacker is on top of you.
- Ask your martial arts instructor to provide frequent women's self-defense classes.
- Many colleges (i.e. Princeton and University of Miami) are starting to provide Rape Aggression Defense (R.A.D.) courses. According to the University of Miami, "The basic R.A.D. program encompasses 9-12 hours of self-defense instruction with its foundations in education and awareness. The 12 hour course version has a final simulation" (against a padded aggressor).
- The Metropolitan Police Service suggests that you do not accept drinks from strangers because they can be spiked.
- Use the "buddy system". The Metropolitan Police Service suggests "When going to a pub, club or party avoid going alone. Friends can watch out for each other".
- According to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, "Be aware of your surroundings. Knowing where you are and who is around you may help you to find a way to get out of a bad situation" and "Avoid putting music headphones in both ears so that you can be more aware of your surroundings, especially if you are walking alone".
- According to the City of Jefferson's Rape and Assault Prevention Checklist, "If you are followed, get away fast. Change directions or head for open businesses" and "If approached by a stranger, run to the center of the street and don't hesitate to call for help".
FYI - This page is locked. Please contact us if you wish to add information to this page.
- University of Miami, Self-Defense: R.A.D. Program Information, http://www.miami.edu/ref/index.php/umpd/services_programs_umpd_department/self-defense_programs_for_women/self-defense_rad_program_information/, Added - 05/17/15
- Metropolitan Police Service, Drug-assisted rape and sexual assault, http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Safety-advice/1400006933890/1400006933890, Added - 05/17/15
- Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, Avoiding Dangerous Situations, https://www.rainn.org/get-information/sexual-assault-prevention/avoiding-dangerous-situations, Added - 05/17/15
- City of Jefferson, Rape and Assault Prevention Checklist, https://www.jeffcitymo.org/police/RapeAssaultPrevention.html, Added - 05/18/15
- NY Times, College Rape Prevention Program Proves a Rare Success, http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/12/health/college-rape-prevention-program-proves-a-rare-success.html, Added - 06/11/15
- New England Journal of Medicine, Efficacy of a Sexual Assault Resistance Program for University Women, http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1411131, Added - 06/11/15
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. FYI - These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions & answers focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- New dojo mats Some of your know I've been wanting new mats and finally got them for my bday. 3' by 3' 1" thick Dual sided black and grey 180 sqft worth of them The basement dojo looks beautiful and near professional. Add me on Facebook if you want to see.
- The 3 grappling moves that every martial artist should know What the the 3 grappling techniques that every martial artist should know? They can be submissions, escapes, etc. They can also be from BJJ, Judo, Wrestling, etc. Please try to name the techniques and explain why they should be learned. Think that yo...
- What are your Hidden Mysteries that dictate life balance ? There are inside and outside perspectives from every karate-ka and at every level. Providing a balanced perspective is the aim of success, but there is so much misinformation out there, that interested lay people and curious practioners might not be a...
- New Developments for "Not WIthout a Fight" I am very happy to be working with David Kahn https://www.israelikrav.com/ who is not only a historian but the US Chief Instructor for Israeli Krav Maga. As I have mentioned before, "Not Without a Fight" is a novel based on a true story about a Jewish...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
If you spot a typo, non-working video or missing information, please tell us & we will fix immediately!
Also help beginners & add your knowledge to this free wiki.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Search Wiki for Martial Arts Techniques & Topics