Help others by adding details to this martial arts wiki. Martial artists can help with instructions (i.e. Shotokan Kata, Kicks, WTF Forms, Punches, ITF Patterns, Aikido Techniques, Goju-Ryu Kata, Krav Maga Techniques, Bo Staff, Other Katas), athletes with Strength, Conditioning & Stretching, grapplers with Submissions, film buffs with Movies, linguists with Terminology, etc.
Member benefits - It is free, you will be helping beginners, members do not see the ads on the top of the wiki, you can list your website on pages where you add info, contributors are highlighted in our newsletter & much more. Everyone is welcome. Click to join!
List of Judo Techniques with Instructions & Videos
This section will help you to learn a wide variety of different Judo techniques such as throws (Nage Waza) and grappling (Katame Waza). The instructional videos on these pages will reinforce the knowledge of the Judo techniques that you have learned at your dojo. We have also provided you with the Japanese and English names for each of these Judo techniques. To properly and safely utilize these techniques, you need to learn them from a Judo instructor who can give an in-depth explanation of the technique, provide instruction on your mistakes and detail how the technique should be employed.
These martial arts techniques should be only practiced under the supervision of a trained martial arts instructor. Some of these Judo techniques are very dangerous (i.e. Hadaka Jime or Rear Naked Choke) if done improperly.
Ukemui - Judo Breakfalls & Rolls
- Mae Ukemi - Forward Breakfall
- Ushiro Ukemi - Back Breakfall
- Yoko Ukemi - Side Breakfall
- Zenpo Kaiten - Forward Roll Breakfall
Te Waza - Judo Throws (Hand Techniques)
- Ippon Seoi Nage - One Hand Shoulder Throw. Also known as Seoi Nage.
- Kata Guruma - Shoulder Wheel
- Kibisu Gaeshi - One Hand Reversal
- Kouchi Gaeshi - Minor Inner Reap Reversal
- Kuchiki Taoshi - Single Leg Takedown
- Morote Gari - Two Hand Reap
- Morote Seoi Nage - Two Hand Shoulder Throw
- Obi Otoshi - Belt Drop
- Sukui Nage - Scoop Throw
- Sumi Otoshi - Corner Drop
- Tai Otoshi - Body Drop
- Uchi Mata Sukashi - Inner Thigh Void Throw
- Uki Otoshi - Floating Drop
- Yama Arashi - Mountain Storm
Koshi Waza - Judo Throws (Hip Techniques)
- Daki Age - High Lift
- Hane Goshi - Spring Hip Throw
- Harai Goshi - Sweeping Hip Throw
- Koshi Guruma - Hip Wheel
- O Goshi - Major Hip Throw
- Sode Tsurikomi Goshi - Sleeve Lifting & Pulling Hip Throw
- Tsuri Goshi - Lifting Hip Throw
- Tsurikomi Goshi - Lifting & Pulling Hip Throw
- Uki Goshi - Floating Hip Throw
- Ushiro Goshi - Rear Throw
- Utsuri Goshi - Hip Shift Throw
Ashi Waza - Judo Throws (Foot Techniques)
- Ashi Guruma - Leg Wheel
- Deashi Harai - Front Foot Sweep
- Hane Goshi Gaeshi - Spring Hip Counter
- Harai Goshi Gaeshi - Hip Sweep Counter
- Harai Tsurikomi Ashi - Lift Pull Foot Sweep
- Hiza Guruma - Knee Wheel
- Kosoto Gake - Minor Outer Hook
- Kosoto Gari - Minor Outside Reaping Throw
- Kouchi Gari - Minor Inner Reaping Throw
- O Guruma - Large Wheel
- Okuri Ashi Harai - Sliding or Following Foot Sweep
- Osoto Gaeshi - Major Outside Reaping Counter
- Osoto Gari - Major Outside Reaping Throw
- Osoto Guruma - Major Outer Wheel
- Osoto Otoshi - Major Outer Drop
- Ouchi Gaeshi - Major Inner Reaping Counter
- Ouchi Gari - Major Inner Reaping Throw
- Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi - Lifting Pulling Ankle Throw
- Tsubame Gaeshi - Swallow Counter
- Uchi Mata - Inner Thigh Throw
- Uchi Mata Gaeshi - Inner Thigh Throw Counter
Sutemi Waza - Judo Sacrifice Techniques
- Daki Wakare - High Separation
- Hane Makikomi - Springing Wrap Around
- Harai Makikomi - Hip Sweep Wrap Around
- Hikikomi Gaeshi - Pull-In Reversal
- Osoto Makikomi - Major Outside Wrap Around
- Soto Makikomi - Outer Wrap Around
- Sumi Gaeshi - Corner Reversal
- Tani Otoshi - Valley Drop
- Tawara Gaeshi - Rice Bag Reversal Throw
- Tomoe Nage - Circle Throw
- Uchi Makikomi - Inner Wrap Around
- Uchi Mata Makikomi - Inner Thigh Wrap Around
- Uki Waza - Floating Drop
- Ura Nage - Rear Throw
- Yoko Gake - Side Hook
- Yoko Guruma - Side Wheel
- Yoko Otoshi - Side Drop
- Yoko Wakare - Side Separation
Osae Waza - Judo Pinning Techniques
- Kami Shiho Gatame - Top Four Corner Hold
- Kata Gatame - Shoulder Drop
- Kesa Gatame - Scarf Hold
- Kuzure Kesa Gatame - Broken Scarf Hold
- Kuzure Kami Shiho Gatame - Broken Top Four Corner Hold
- Tate Shiho Gatame - Vertical Four Corner Hold
- Yoko Shiho Gatame - Side Four Corner Hold
Shime Waza - Judo Choking Techniques
- Do Jime - Trunk Lock
- Gyaku Juji Jime - Reverse Cross Choke
- Hadaka Jime - Rear Naked Choke
- Kata Ha Jime - Single Wing Choke
- Kata Juji Jime - Half Cross Choke
- Kata Te Jime - Single Hand Choke
- Nami Juji Jime - Normal Cross Choke
- Okuri Eri Jime - Sliding Lapel Choke
- Ryo Te Jime - Two Handed Choke
- Sankaku Jime - Triangle Choke
- Sode Guruma Jime - Sleeve Wheel Choke
- Tsukkomi Jime - Thrust Choke
Kansetsu Waza - Judo Joint Lock Techniques
- Ashi Garami - Leg Lock
- Ude Garami - Bent Arm Lock
- Ude Hishigi Ashi Gatame - Leg Arm Bar
- Ude Hishigi Hara Gatame - Stomach Arm Bar
- Ude Hishigi Hiza Gatame - Knee Arm Bar
- Ude Hishigi Juji Gatame - Cross Arm Bar
- Ude Hishigi Sankaku Gatame - Triangle Lock
- Ude Hishigi Te Gatame - Hand Lock
- Ude Hishigi Ude Gatame - Straight Arm Lock
- Ude Hishigi Waki Gatame - Armpit Lock
List of Judo Throwing Techniques (or Nage Waza) - Each of the sections below contain instructions for many different Judo throwing techniques.
- Judo Throws-Foot Techniques (or Ashi Waza techniques) -
- Judo Throws-Hand Techniques (or Te Waza techniques) - This section contains Judo throws such as Shoulder Wheel (Kata Guruma), Two Hand Reap (Morote Gari) and Scoop Throw (Sukui Nage).
- Judo Throws-Hip Techniques (or Koshi Waza techniques) -
- Judo Throws-Sacrifice Techniques (or Sutemi Waza techniques) -
List of Judo Grappling Techniques (or Katame Waza) - These sections contain instructions for a wide range of Judo grappling techniques.
- Judo Pinning Techniques (or Osae Waza techniques) -
- Judo Choking Techniques (or Shime Waza techniques) -
- Judo Joint Lock Techniques (or Kansetsu Waza techniques) - This section contains Judo joint locks such as Triangle Lock (Ude Hishigi Sankaku Gatame), Leg Lock (Ashi Garami) and Bent Arm Lock (Ude Garami).
- International Judo Federation, Judo Techniques, http://www.intjudo.eu/Judo_Corner/Judo_Techniques/Judo_Techniques5, Added - 6/19/13
- Kodokan Judo Institute, Classification of Waza Names, http://www.kodokan.org/e_waza/index.html#katamewaza, Added - 7/1/13
Click here to join Black Belt Wiki. Free membership.
Can't find something? Try our Wiki Search Engine.
Sign up for our free wiki newsletter. We promise to send only 1 or 2 email newsletters per month.
Each newsletter provides wiki updates, martial arts tips and more.
Support this wiki. At no extra cost to you, we make a small commission on each sale via the links below (i.e. Amazon).
Post A Question For Your Fellow Martial Artists or Suggest An Improvement For This Wiki
To leave a comment, you can log-in via Facebook, Twitter or Google. You can even post as an anonymous guest.
Posting rules - Respect all martial styles, be civil, no aggressive self-promotion and no spam.
Violations of these rules will cause posts to be edited or deleted.
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki. All rights reserved.
Websites may link to Black Belt Wiki. However, the link must clearly reference Black Belt Wiki.
For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer.