List of Karate Kicks with Instructions
This page will help you learn a variety of basic Karate kicks such as Mawashi Geri (roundhouse kick) and Ushiro Geri (back kick). This page also lists the Japanese names for these Karate kicking techniques. For all Karate kicks, please check with your instructor as techniques and names can vary from one Karate style to another.
For other Karate techniques and katas, please visit the main Karate section. You should also visit the main Kicking Techniques section to see how these kicks are done by other martial arts styles (i.e. Muay Thai and Taekwondo). That section contains a greater variety of advanced martial arts kicks (i.e. Butterfly Kick) that you can learn in order to increase your overall martial arts knowledge.
Section supported by Karate books
Karate Kicking Techniques - Click on the kicks below for videos, instructions, etc.
- Ashi Barai - Foot Sweep
- Fumikomi - Stomp or Stomping Kick
- Gedan Mawashi Geri - Low Roundhouse Kick
- Hiza Geri - Knee Strike
- Kakato Otoshi Geri - Axe Kick - Sometimes only referred to as Kakato Geri.
- Kansetsu Geri - Joint Kick (usually attacking an opponent's knee)
- Kin Geri - Groin Kick
- Mae Geri - Front Kick
- Mae Geri Keage - Front Snap Kick
- Mae Geri Kekomi - Front Thrust Kick
- Mae Tobi Geri - Jumping Front Kick
- Mawashi Geri - Roundhouse Kick
- Mikazuki Geri - Crescent Kick
- Uchi Mikazuki Geri - Inside Crescent Kick, In-To-Out Crescent Kick, etc.
- Nidan Tobi Geri also known as Nidan Geri - Jumping Double Front Kick
- Otoshi Mawashi Geri - Downward Roundhouse Kick, Circular Falling Kick, Falling Roundhouse Kick, etc.
- Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku - Tornado Kick
- Tobi Geri - Jumping Kick
- Tobi Hiza Geri - Jumping Knee Strike
- Tobi Mae Geri or Mae Tobi Geri - Jumping Front Kick
- Tobi Mawashi Geri - Jumping Roundhouse Kick
- Tobi Ushiro Geri - Jumping Back Kick
- Tobi Yoko Geri or Yoko Tobi Geri - Jumping Side Kick or Flying Side Kick
- Tsumasaki Geri - Toe Kick
- Uchi Haisoku Geri - Twist Kick, Instep Kick, etc.
- Ura Mawashi Geri - Reverse Roundhouse Kick or Hook Kick
- Ura Ushiro Mawashi Geri - Spinning Reverse Roundhouse Kick, Spinning Wheel Kick, Spinning Hook Kick, etc.
- Ushiro Geri - Back Kick
- Ushiro Geri Keage - Back Snap Kick
- Ushiro Geri Kekomi - Back Thrust Kick
- Yoko Geri - Side Kick
- Yoko Geri Keage - Side Snap Kick
- Yoko Geri Kekomi - Side Thrust Kick
- Yoko Tobi Geri - Jumping Side Kick or Flying Side Kick
Wiki Recommendations by Google
Black Belt Wiki Community
- Please visit the wiki community to read all of our members posts & replies. However, we have listed below some of the recent posts & top-rated topics added by our members to the wiki's social community. These are not wiki pages but rather are fantastic member generated questions, answers & even the occasional joke focused on martial arts topics. We hope you become a member.
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Bruce Lee's letters CBS did a recent show focusing on the philosophical commentary in Bruce Lee's letters. It also semi-looks at his daughter's role in Bruce Lee's archives & maintaining his legacy. Will Black Belt Wiki
- Top 10 Deadliest Lists Ever!!! Here is my definitive list of top 10 MA lists. They are in order of which ever one I randomly chose and therefore completely relevant! Anyone who doesn't agree with my list will go on to my list of people who don't agree with my list list! :) 0. https...
- New MA World Record A new Guinness World record for breaking blocks has recently been set, here is a link to the article and video, I don't know about anyone else but I seriously doubt the composite structure of those blocks especially given the nature of the technique us...
- Famous Karate Quotes The wiki has a page on famous martial arts quotes - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/martial-arts-quotes However, it is severely lacking many good Karate quotes. Can you please post some of the classic Karate quotes (with the associated style & originator...
At no extra cost to you, Black Belt Wiki makes a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this wiki may not be copied or reproduced without the written approval of Black Belt Wiki.
All rights reserved. For other terms & conditions, please read our legal disclaimer. This site is for informational purposes only. All martial arts techniques and fitness exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting or continuing any martial arts and/or physical fitness program.
Martial Arts Products
- Books - Most Popular Martial Arts Books
- Grappling - BJJ, Judo, MMA, etc.
- DVDs - Best Instructional DVDs
- Gloves - Boxing, MMA, etc.
- Heavy Bags, Kicking Pads & Shields
- Kata & Forms
- Shoes - Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Boxing, etc.
- Sparring Gear - Sparring gloves, footwear, headgear, etc.
- Stretching & Flexibility
- Training - Iron Palm, Punching Mitts, etc.
- Uniforms & Gi